Saturday, February 18, 2012

Sax and Fryer

I love the smell of bookstores. Call me crazy, but if we ever come to the point where all written matter is electronic, we will miss out on one of the best experiences in the world, browsing in a bookstore.  My personal favorite bookstore for browsing is Sax and Fryer in Livingston Montana.  Not only is it the oldest business in Livingston, it is the best book store of any that I have found for shopping for Montana books.  The business dates back to 1883, and has moved a few times before arriving at its current location on West Callendar Street where it has been for nearly one hundred years.  What could be better than looking for history books in a historical building?  Like many other bookstores, it also carries stationary, office supplies, magazines and newspapers.

Sax and Fryer's history including early photos can be found in the book, Livingston, by Elizabeth A. Watry and Robert V Goss.  It is part of the Images of America Series.  I recommend the book and I recommend visiting in person if you ever get the chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment