Saturday, September 17, 2011

Before Manhattan was Manhattan

On my way home from Helena last weekend, I decided to stop and check out an interesting historical story tip that I received recently from a clerk at Walmart. (It never fails to amaze me how many people are interested in history and how often the subject comes up in every day conversations) To check it out I needed to exit Interstate 90 at the Manhattan exit and follow the sign directing me toward Amsterdam. Just a mile or two, on the left hand side of the road, I found the turn-off I was looking for- the road to Meadow View Cemetery. At the entrance to the cemetery I found a historical marker placed by the Gallatin Historical Society, From this sign I got a brief lesson on the history of Manhattan Montana.

Text of Sign
Hamilton
Early Day Manhattan
This location of an early day (1860’s) stage stop provided over-night accommodations for the Bozeman-Virginia City -Helena Stages. Hamilton was named for Ted Hamilton. The town was most active in the 1960’s and 1970’s. There was a hotel, churches, stores, blacksmith shop, post office and cemetery. No saloon due to an active “Good Temperance Lodge.” From 1875-1878, a Female Seminary (Girl’s boarding and day school) operated one mile east on the Heeb Lane. A stone church was built there in 1878. With the coming of the Northern Pacific Railroad in 1883 the town moved to the railroad and was renamed Moreland. New York investors started the Manhattan Malting Company. They encouraged Holland Immigrants (farmers) to come and raise Barley. The name changed again from Moreland to Manhattan. (1891). Prohibition closed the malt plant. The Meadow View Cemetery remains at the old Hamilton Site.
 
While this was not the information I was seeking it was certainly interesting.  Not only did Manhattan start out with a different, well two different names, but it also was like many Montana towns that changed location to be near the railroads that played such a significant role in our history.

As far as the other matter, the tip I was following, there is more investigation to do before I pass that along.

No comments:

Post a Comment