Saturday, August 6, 2011

1959 Hebgen Lake Earthquake

It it just a few days until the fifty-second anniversary of the Hebgen Lake Earthquake.  For the people living and camping in the Hebgen Lake area near Yellowstone National Park the events of the night of August 17-18, 1959 changed their lives and their landscape forever.  While many survived the ordeal of fleeing from the rising waters caused by the most massive landslide in the states history, 28 people died that night.  The 7.5 earthquake was one of Montana's most significant geological and historical events.

The Hebgen lake earthquake was significant to me for two reasons.  It was the first, and strongest earthquake I have ever felt.  The quake was felt through large parts of Montana and Idaho.  My family lived in a two story house and I remember my father getting us downstairs and outside away from the house.  When you are a small child, seeing your parents afraid creates a lasting impression.

Many years later, a visit to the Quake Lake Visitor center provided the inspiration for my book, MONTANA DISASTERS: FIRES, FLOODS, AND OTHER CATASTROPHES.  I had been writing short articles for years but when I saw how intrigued people were by the story of that night, I knew that I had found the book project I wanted to work on.

If you would like to read more about the quake, MONTANA DISASTERS is available in many of the state book stores and libraries or can be purchased on-line.

No comments:

Post a Comment