Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cemetery Walk

This Saturday, August 13,  I will be spending an enjoyable afternoon at the Mountain View Cemetery in Livingston Montana.  The Park County Historical Society and Genealogy Society will be hosting the third annual Cemetery walk, where attendees can meet eight "ghosts" of early Livingston residents that are buried there.  I missed the first two Cemetery walks due to schedule conflicts so I am particularly excited about this one.  One of the featured personalities is my great grandmother Nancy Adkins who is being portrayed by her granddaughter Nancy Adkins. 

Cemetery walking is one of my favorite pastimes, and having the added attraction of having actors bringing the past to life makes it much better.  I hope to find other such events in other Montana locations.

Whenever I check out a town that is new to me, I try to spend at least a little time exploring the cemetery.  It really adds to the experience when you see the tombstones bearing the names that also appear on the names of city streets or buildings.  From huge ornate headstones of the prominent citizens to the tiny angels on the headstones of babies, there are so many stories waiting to be told.


Bannack Cemetery

Some of my favorite cemeteries are Bannack, Forestvale in Helena, Virginia City Cemetery, Boothill in Billings, Emigrant in Paradise Valley South of Livingston, and Gardiner just outside of Yellowstone Park.

Watch future posts for more details on those cemeteries and others, along with tips on what to look for when visiting a cemetery for the first time.

Sunset Hills Cemetery, Bozeman




No comments:

Post a Comment